Monday, January 08, 2007

RK survey results: free response

The multiple-choice results to the Reform rabbis' kids survey have been posted.

Here are some selected responses from the optional comments:

  • "While I am Jewishly active in a Reform context, I wouldn't go so far as to say I identify as a Reform Jew. I have serious issues with the movement."
  • "i am just like my father and have a wonderful relationship with him, except in terms of faith. he was never able to convince me that religion is anything more than a set of arbitrary rules and ideas for the weak-minded. i would have been a lot better served by taking philosophy classes at a young age instead of religious school. at least the breadth of view and critical thinking skills would have served me well."
  • "yiddish culture. birthright to czernowitz is what we need."
  • "I don't believe in god/religion."
  • "i hate jews"
  • "I, of course, belong to my father's synagogue, Temple ______ in [city]. however, because of so many Jewish experiences in [city] (even teaching at a modern orthodox day school) I really consider myself 'just jewish' if that is a catagory. My fiance would love to 'shul shop' but that is not necessarily politically correct. for reasons only an RK can understand." [Ed.: Wow. Even as an RK, I never thought about that scenario, since I haven't lived as an adult in the city where I grew up. --BZ]
  • "I participate in Jewish Traditions for the sake of quality time with my Family, otherwise I tend to identify more with the practices of Buddhism."
  • "I grew up in a Reform congregation and spent many, many summers at Reform summer camp. I am currently in Israel for my 4th visit. I have to say that after growing up strongly identified with Judaism and the Reform movement specifically, my time in college showed me that perhaps Reform is not where I will stay in the future. There are aspects that I love, especially the camp system, but the URJ is in disarray and I don't identify nationally with Reform services/worship. I love the congregation I grew up in, but find myself bored or angered at other Reform services nationally. I suppose things will depend greatly on where I decide to settle when I return to the US."
  • "I don't belong to a synagogue, but I consider myself a reform Jew."
  • "I am not religious per se, but am invovled in Jewish community although not through any official affliation."
  • "I am active in a Conservative synagogue. This is due to my wife's position as the Educational Director of the synagogue. It remains my preference to be affiliated with the Reform movement."
  • "i have been on staff at UAHC camps been to Israel for Eisendrath Exchange, taught religious school and do not like services conducted by any one other than my parent"
  • "Traditional Egalitarian Minyan - didn't fit into any of the buckets naturally, but a rising trend."
  • "I created a film about Israel, but wouldn't call myself a Jewish professional. I do identify strongly as a Reform Jew."
  • "I feel much more comfortable in a modern orthodox service than I do in a Reform service."
  • "If I had to pick a label, I would probably describe myself as 'traditional egalitarian.' Most of my friends are either Conservative or Orthodox. I prefer to daven in an egalitarian setting, but have little problem in an orthodox setting. On friday nights, we either daven at the conservative shul or orthodox shul. Since most of our friends in our neighborhood are orthodox, we tend to daven with them. I attended a Conservative day school through grade 8, then attended [pluralistic Jewish high school]. I feel comfortable in any Jewish setting, from Reform to Orthodox."
  • "I am the daughter of 2 rabbis, the niece of 2, and the granddaughter of 1. 4 of those rabbis are/were in the Reform movement (the other was ordained Reconstructionist but holds a pulpit at a shul that's not affiliated), but I was Bat Mitzva-d in the Conservative movement. I am most comfortable with Conservative liturgy and was involved in the Conservative/egalitarian minyan in college. But my most meaningful Jewish experiences have been in a pluralistic or nondenominational context. I am currently a member of a shul/minyan that's not affiliated with a movement."
  • "I have made Aliyah and will be a combat soldier in the summer."

No comments:

Post a Comment